Gandhiji always favoured the education based on personal life experiences. Gujarat Vidyapith has still continued implementing successfully the thought of Gandhi by introducing ‘Udyog activities’ as an integral part of the curriculum.
Udyog is ઉત્ + યોગ – Higher Yoga. Yog-Sadhana is very necessary for stability, health, peace and power of mind, body and soul. Udyog should not be considered as mere hard physical labour. Udyog should be integrated and introduced in education as an inevitable aid or medium of education-process. It is very true in all the disciplines of life. Being free from mere bookish knowledge, a student should resort to manual work and practical experience. Gandhiji put emphasis on vocational and functional education. “Earning while learning” was the motto of this education. This increases the creativity in a student. As Gandhi wanted to make Indian village’s self-sufficient units, he emphasised that vocational education should increase the efficiency within the students who will make the village as self-sufficient units.In other words, Gandhi’s educational philosophy was born out of his intense need to better the condition of rural India.
Udyog is not a subject to be thrust upon the students; it is related to life till death. Mahatma Gandhi observed that the so called literate class of people became idle instead of becoming industrious. This means that education makes man dead instead of living. It was found necessary to reestablish the value of Udyog in education. Gandhiji gave Udyog that much importance as one Jeevan Rasayan or Medium of Education. According to Mahatama Gandhi, “The principal idea is to impart the whole education of the body, mind and soul through the handicraft that is taught to the children.”
Gujarat Vidyapith is based on the principles of Basic Education (Buniyadi Shikshan or Nai Talim). Hence, Udyog is considered as a foundation of education. According to Gandhiji, education brings out the talents hidden in the body, heart and soul of the students. Education teaches the true art of living. It includes acquiring entrepreneurial skills, maturity of thoughts and treasure of virtues. Udyog make the students capable to understand the value of labour and to be economically free. Udyog can help the students in developing confident and self-reliant personality.
At Centre for Studies in Rural Management, the task of life skill development in students is being done very effectively through various Udyog activities. Each and every student as well as teacher takes part in such activities with great enthusiasm, spirit, concentration and devotion. The period of one hour is appropriated to such Udyog daily. All the students are assigned various Udyog activities.
Udyog Activities of the Department :
- Computer Maintenance, Repairing and Networking
- Other Udyog Activities
- Agriculture and Kitchen Garden
- Soap Making
- Campus Development
- Production Planning and Targeting
- Procurement of Material, Standardization and Quality Control
- Lay Out of Unit, Managing Mass Production
- Division of Labour, Time Study, Motion Study, etc.
- Branding, Labeling, Marking, Packaging and Packing
- Methods of Price Determination
- New Product Development Process
- Test Marketing Experience
- Selling Strategies, Personal Selling Experience and Salesman Ship
- Advertising & Publicity Methods and Effectiveness
- Applying Sales Promotion Tools such as Offering Discount, etc.
- Consumer Behavior and Purchase Decisions
- Communication and Human Psychology
- Maintaining Stock Register and Calculation of Stock
- Basic Accounting and Record Keeping, etc.
Life Skill Development:
The above practical knowledge is very much essential to be developed in management students, as they are going to be future entrepreneurs of our nation. Besides, the following life skills have also be developed in students.
- Team Management and Cohesiveness
- Work Involvement and Sense of Cooperation
- Creative & Logical Thinking and Practicability
- Thrift, Honesty and Devotion towards Work and Life
- Time Management and Value of Time
- Self Confidence and Decision Making Power
- Ability of Taking Initiatives and Bearing Risk
- Communication Skill and Art of Expressing Self
- Enthusiasm and Discipline
- Concentration and Will Power
- Quality Consciousness