- Psychiatric social work is a profession well established in India for the past few decades. According to the Bhore Committee Report, on Health Survey and Development in India in 1946, recommendations were made to appoint medical and psychiatric social workers in hospitals.
- The various setting in which psychiatric social workers (PSWs) are working are mental hospitals, psychiatric departments of general hospitals, community mental health clinics, psychiatric clinics attached to prisons, colleges and industries, child guidance clinics, clinics for the mentally retarded, schools – regular and certified, remand homes, adolescent clinics and rehabilitation centers.
- The patients came to psychiatric centers mainly for medical or psychiatric treatment of their illnesses and social services were offered afterwards when necessary.
- In year 2017, Gujarat Vidyapith and Mental health hospital, Ahmedabad singed MOU for starting 2 year Master degree course for Psychiatric Social Work in social work department. The master degree course of psychiatric social work is designed to impact rigorous training in practical knowledge of the content of Psychiatric aspects and allied social and behavioral science as also the field practice.
- The main purpose of this course is to prepare trained social workers who may have the will and the capacity to contribute to the solution of the problem of the community related to mental health.
Admission is given on the basis of merit based on written test, group discussion and individual visit, keeping in view the reserved seat.
Any Graduate with Minimum 50%
22 Students (Academic year 2021-22)
2 Years (Four Semester)
Selection is done by Written test, Group Discussion and Interview
The following fees are for the first year, in which the food reserve fee is considered for Semester-1 only, which has to be paid separately in the second semester.
Programme Outcomes for social work are competencies of knowledge, skill and value set that a social work programme expects to possess by master degree. Department of social work, Gujarat Vidyapith expects following programme outcome.
- To impart education and training in professional social work in order to provide manpower in social welfare, development and allied fields, to develop their capabilities for working at various levels of micro, mezzo and macro level.
- To help students to develop knowledge, skills, attitude and values appropriate to the practice of social work profession.
- To enable students develop creative and critical thinking and ability to apply theoretical knowledge in practice of social work.
- To facilitate interdisciplinary approach for better understanding of social problems, situations and issues of development.
- Identify as a professional social worker and conduct one accordingly.
- Interpretation of social problems and social issues and effective application of social work methods.
- To develop understanding of social policies and ability to analyze and influence.
- Apply in practice findings of action oriented research.
- Apply the knowledge of human growth and behavior and social environment.
- To understand agency administration and delivery of social services.
- Gujarat Vidyapith expect to impart the values and skills in students to work with marginalize people through the way of Gandhiji
- Students will get opportunity to work on different social issues which will help the society.
- Students will get proper understanding regarding intervention in different issues affects society.
- Students will get opportunity to build his/her carrier in different fields like, Health, Education, Research, Academic, Government sector etc..
- Students will get in depth understanding regarding and sensitization about the situation and issues of Marginalized sector.
- Students will contribute in the society through different activities and through his/her own volunteer organization or NGO.
- As Gandhian philosophy Gujarat Vidyapith always gives priority to Life education, Social work department also provide same opportunity to learn Life skill education with different activities.
- Students get opportunity of good Physical, mental, Social development, get good Healthy Environment.