Prof. Nimisha Shukla
Ph.D., Gujarat Vidyapith, Ahmedabad (2002)
- Ph.D., Gujarat Vidyapith, Ahmedabad, 2002
- M. Phil., Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 1987
- M.A., Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 1985
- B.A., Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, 1983
Area of Specialization
- Gandhian Economic Thought
- Natural Resource Economics
Area of Interests
- Gandhian Economic Thought
- Natural Resource Economics
Contribution to Teaching
- Micro-economic Theory Since 1991
- International Economics 1991- 2001
- Economics of Development 1991- 2004
Environmental Economics Since 1995
Rural Economics Since 2010
Agriculture Economics 2013-14
Gandhian Economic Thought Since 2011
- Master’s since 1991
Master of Philosophy: Since 1995
Doctor of Philosophy: Since 2004
‘Self-discipline as a Regulatory Instrument for Environmental Governance (EG) and Gandhian Approach’, in Environmental Governance (Ed.s) Jayant bandopadhyay, Kanchan Chpra and Nilanjan Ghosh. Blomsbury. 2012
• Status of Common Property Resource (CPR) Land in Gujarat. Arthvikas. 2009
• ‘Tracing Alternative Rural Development Paradigm in Gandhiji’s Concept of Swadeshi’. Arthiki, Jounal of Kashi Vishva Vidyalay. 2006
• ‘गजरातमांुकृवि अने संलग्न क्षेरो’ (Agriculture and Allied Sectors in Gujarat) in ‘गजरातु…एक सरिैि’ंु (Gujarat: A Balance Sheet) (Ed) Sudarshan Iyengar and Digant Oza, Navbharat Sahitya Mandir, 2002 (१६३-१७१)
• ‘भारतमां आर्र्ाकसधारा:ु (Economic Reforms in India: A Bird’s eye view) in Vishleshan, Vol. 27, No. 3. 1999
• भारतीि कृवि अनेिैश्श्िकीकरण’ (Indian Agriculture and Globalisation) in Vishleshan, Vol. 27, No. 1 1998
• ‘विश्िमां िस्त्तीविृ सन्दभेवििादों’ (The Controversy regarding Population
• Khadi: Fabric for Making Soft ‘Handprint’ on Mother Earth. 2015. Kurukshetra. Ministry of Rural Development. Vol. 63. No. 12. October, 2015. Pp 13-16.
• Gujarat Vidyapith: On the way to Greening of the University. Springer International Publishing, Switzerland. 2015
• आत्मससवि, संपोवितता अने गांधी.‘विद्िापीठ’. Gujarat Vidyapith. October-December, 2014
• पिाािरण अने पाररश्स्त्र्यतकी अने गांधी. ‘विद्िापीठ’. Gujarat Vidyapith. October-December, 2014
• विकासनी प्रक्रििामां स्त्िैश्छिकसंस्त्र्ाओनी भसमकाू (Role of VoluntaryAgencies in Development Process) (Ed.) Vidyut Joshi in ‘समकालीन गजरातीु समाज’ (Contemporary Gujarat Society). Gujarat Samajik Seva Mandal Publication, March 2013
•Self-actualisation, Sustainability and Gandhi. Gandhi Marg, Gandhi Peace Foundation. Jan-March, 2013
•Tracing Alternative Rural Development Paradigm in Gandhiji’s concept of Swadeshi. 2010. अर्ाशास्त्र विभाग. महात्मा गााँधीकाशी विद्िापीठ, िाराणसी. ििा 42. अंक1.
•‘Human Values, Individual and Society in Hind Swaraj’ in Journal of Gandhian Studies, 2009. Vol. VII, No.1
•‘Gandhi’s Economic Thought in Hind Swaraj and the Present Context’ Gandhi Marg, September 2009, Vol. 31, No. 2
•‘Changes in Land Use Priorities of State and Market: Conflict with Communities’ at Institute for Social Change, Bangalore. 2009.
•‘गांधीजी अने उछच सशक्षण’ (Gandhiji and Higher Education) in Drashti, Vol.40. No. 10, October 2004.
• ‘Regeneration and Management of Common Property Land Resources in India: A Review’ in Resource Management and Counters of Development (Ed) B.C. Barik, Rawat Publications, New Delhi, 2002#
• ‘Scope of Poverty Reduction through Regeneration of Common Property Land Resources (CPLRs): A Review’ in Indian Economy: Agenda for the 21st Century, (Eds.) Raj Kumar Sen and Biswajit Chatterjee, Deep and Deep Publication Pvt. Ltd., 2002
• ‘Common Property Land Resources in India: Some Issues in Regeneration and Management’ in Institutionalising Common Property Resources, (Ed) Dinesh Marothia, Concept Publishing Company, New Delhi, 2002.
• ‘िस्त्तीनो विकास के विकससत िस्त्ती: भारतमां िस्त्तीविृ अने तेना प्रश्नों’ (Development of Population or Developed Population: Population Growth in India and its Problems) in Yojana, August, 2000
Paper Presentations (Individual and Joint)
- Gujarat Vidyapith: On the way to Greening of the University. Green Campus Summit, 2013. Puducherry.
- The Economics and Financing of Education: Issues and an Alternative Paradigm. Peoples Council of Education and Gujarat Vidyapith. Gujarat Vidyapith. 19-23 November, 2012
- Economic Sustainability in Light of Consumer Behaviour: Gandhian Perspective, Central University of Gujarat. 2012
- Governing of Commons: The Bhoodan International Association for Study of Commons. Hyderabad. 2011
- Comparison of Cost-Benefit Analysis of Indigenous and Bt Cotton Growers, Gujarat Institute of Development Research, Ahmedabad. 2011
- Khadi: Effective Energy Conservation Production Model, Indian Society for Ecological Economics, Hyderabad, 2011
- ‘Modernity: Then and Now and the Context of Hind Swaraj’, Banaras Hindu University, Banaras. 27-28 March, 2010
- ‘Self-actualisation, Sustainability and Gandhi’, International Society for Ecological Economics, Oldenberg, Germany. 2010
- ‘Self-discipline as a Regulatory Instrument for Environmental Governance (EG) and Gandhian Approach’, Indian Society for Ecological Economics, 21-23 January, 2009, Gujarat Vidyapith.
- ‘Changes in Land Use Priorities of State and Market: Conflict with Communities’ at Institute for Social Change, Bangalore, 29-30 September, 2009.
- ‘Organic Farming: A Way to Sustainable Agriculture’, Gujarat Institute of Development Research, 25-27 October, 2009
- ‘Construction of the Common Platform (OWM’s Urban Model)’, Gujarat Vidyapith. 2008
- ‘Teachings of Economics: Some Observations’ at the 35th Annual Conference of the Gujarat Economic Association at Shree Jayendrapuri Arts and Science College, Bharuch, 12-13 February, 2005. (1st prize)
- ‘Tracing Alternative Rural Development Paradigm in Gandhiji’s Concept of Swadeshi’, Gujarat Vidyapith, 2005
- ‘Management of Natural Resources through Co-operative Action: A Case Study of Village Development Society in Gujarat, India’ at the 3rd Asia-Pacific Co-operative Research Conference, Chaing Mai, Thailand, 30 November 2004.
‘सामदायिकु जमीन संसाधन:प्रश्नों अनेविकासनी संभािना’ (Common Property Land Resources: Issues and Scope for Development), Gujarat Vidyapith, 2004.
‘पिाािरणीि अर्ाशास्त्र: एक पररचि’ (Environmental Economics: An Introduction) (with Sudarshan Iyengar), Gujarat Vidyapith, 2000.
- ग्राम पंचािातोनो आिक-खचाअभ्िास (Study of Income and Expenditure Analysis of Gram Panchayats) with Third Gujarat State Finance Commission, 2012
- Augmenting Livelihood Security of Salt Workers: Understanding Value chain in Salt pricing with Centre for Economic and Social Studies (CESS), Hyderabad, 2011
- Seminar on ‘Environmental Governance’ by Indian Society for Ecological Economics jointly with Gujarat Institute of Development Research in 2009
Seminar on ‘Economics of Education’ in 2007
Conference Secretary of Annual Conference of Gujarat Economic Association in 2003
A number of Refresher Courses organized as well as co-organised in 1990s and 2002
A number of Workshops on topics like WTO, Gandhian Economic Thought
Lectures delivered in Refresher Courses:
- Lectures on Gandhian Economic Thought, Rural Economics, Issues in Research Methodology and Environmental Issues
Radio and Television Talks
- सामदायिकु संसाधनों अनेमहहलाओ (Common Property Resources and Women)
- गांधीजीनंुदशान अनेगजरातु विद्िापीठना अभ्िासिमो (Gandhian Vision and Educational Courses at Gujarat Vidyapith)
- Life member of Indian Society for Ecological Economics, Indian Economic Association, Gujarat Economic association, Indian Council for Peoples’ Education, Peoples’ Science Society.
Board of Studies
Evaluation of Dissertations and Paper Setter as well Paper Setter: A number of Universities of Within and outside Gujarat
Associations with Non-Governmental Organisations:
Aga Khan Rural Support Programme (India), Development Support Centre, Mahiti, Action Research for Community Health, Center for Environmental Education,
- Programme Officer for National Service Scheme for ten years
Part of a number of Academic and Administrative Committees
- Member, Vidya Sabha (Academic Council)
- Co-ordinator, API/PABS committee
- Member, Research Committee of Mahadev Desai Samajseva Mahavidyalay
- Examination Controller (Occassionally), Mahadev Desai Samajseva Mahavidyalay
- Co-ordinator, IQAC
Other Work Experience :
- Faculty Upgradation Programme in Environmental Economics sponsored by the World Bank at Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research during 11 October to 5 November 1999
- Summer School on Management of Common Property Resources supported by Environmental Economics Unit, Goteborg University Sweden at Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad during 1-10 June, 1995
िैश्श्िकीकरण अनेगामडुं(Globalisation and Villages) at Gandhi Mela
- Presented research paper on ‘Self-actualisation, Sustainability and Gandhi’, International Society for Ecological Economics at Oldenberg, Germany. 2010
- Presented research paper on ‘Management of Natural Resources through Co-operative
Action: A Case Study of Village Development Society in Gujarat, India’ at the 3rd Asia-Pacific Co-operative Research Conference at Chaing Mai, Thailand, 30 November 2004.
- Course on Environmental and Natural Resource Economics jointly organised by the South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics (SANDEE) and
World Bank Institute at AIT Centre, Bangkok, Thailand during 29 October to 16 November, 2003