Department of Journalism and Mass Communication started in 1991 August. It was a birth centenary year of great journalist and Gandhi’s most trusted and loved Shree Mahadev Desai. To keep Mahadevbhai’s style of working and Mahadevbhai in everyone’s memory, Department started on 15th August 1991, and that practice and tradition is still going on continuously. MA, M. Phil and Ph. D programs are available keeping research and extension activities at the center.
Vision of the department is to provide skilled journalists, trained translators, good, speakers, writers, radio jokey, PRO, film writer, producer, freelancer and channel head to the Industry.
Mission of the Department is to train the students for such a huge industry, so that they can work for the industry as well as work for the senior media students.
- This is a professional study. It prepare students for self employment and even working in the media house.
- Gujarati, Hindi and English all the three languages are medium of instruction and grammatically correct language and clarity in pronunciation and purity in vocabularies is of most importance in the department.
- Translation is taught technically and emphasis on learning one more language other than mother tongue is essential for the students of journalism. They are taught to compare the news and content of the media.
- Drama, Garba, music, and other extra curricular activities are the part of departmental activities and faculty prepare students to take part and be active in other activities also. Individual attention is given to the students and faculty inspire them to take part.
- Debate competition, essay writing, N.S.S are the activities in which students are inspired to take part.
- Padyatra in rural areas of Gujarat.
Educational programs of the department are as under
- MA (Journalism and Mass Communication), 4 semester
- Ph. D(Journalism and Mass Communication),
- for students from the other Department CBCS 2 credit courses 1. writing for Mass Media 2. Introduction to Mass Medi
As per the tradition of the Gujarat Vidyapth, education and teaching of the students is done with class room teaching, contact hour with faculty members, extension activities and research in the areas in which students are interested. Syllabus is designed keeping UGC guideline and mission-vision of Gujarat Vidyapith at center. There are total 16 papers taught in 4 semesters. There is a one month internship in each year at the end of the semester 2 and 4. assignments and seminar presentations are part of the teaching learning above class room teaching.
There are two internal test of 20 marks each in every semesters. One assignment and one presentation of 20 marks each is added in internal marking. Result is prepared by adding marks of external exam of 60 marks.
Students from the department are owner of the printing press, Small Newspapers and having recording studios. Several students are working as Channel head, editor, copy editor, copy writer, chief reporter, reporter and stringers in renowned newspapers, magazines, news channels. Many of our students are working successfully as a writer, translators and editor of the magazines. Placement and employment ratio of the department is almost 100%.