Since the inception of Gujarat Vidyapith, the Gujarati department has been active in the teaching of Gujarati language and literature and engaged in the research programmes. Through well-designed undergraduate, postgraduate and research programme, the department has been at the forefront of imparting quality education to the students. The department boasts of its association with the leading luminaries of the country such as Archarya Krupalani, Pandit Sukhlal, Kakasaheb Kalelkar, Nagindas Parikh, Ramnarayan Pathak, Umashankar Joshi and Sundaram among others.
The department has been headed by some of the best known scholars in the field of Gujarati literature and criticism. Prominent names include Prof. Mohanbhai Patel (writer and critic), Prof. Kanubhai Jani (folklorist, poet, and critic), Prof. Chandrakant Sheth (poet and critic), Prof. Usha Upadhyay (feminist writer and scholar) among others. Currently, the department is head by Prof. Sanjay Makwana who is also a poet and critic. An abiding feature of all these different kinds of scholars and writers is their unflinching commitment to Gandhian thoughts and action which has made the department a centre for reading literature through Gandhian lens.
- To promote Gujarati Language and Literature
- To promote Indian culture through literature
- To promote Inter-Disciplinary Studies
- To explore innovative research
- To embrace the dynamic changes and recent developments and incorporate into the curricular aspects of the department.
- To offer interdisciplinary courses in various kinds to impart skills that helps the students in their career.
- To offer courses in the basic areas of Gujarati literature as well as other courses that enables self employment, self reliance and innovation.
- To prepare skilled, sensitive and knowledgeable citizens.
- The department of Language and Literature was established in the year 1963. For the initial couple of years it ran only undergraduate programme. After, 1965, postgraduate and PhD programmes were introduced.
- Later in 1978, MPhil was added. Moreover, under Choice Based Credit System (CBCS), the department also offers courses in Gujarati grammar, Dramatics, Introduction to Gujarati language and literature, Creative writing, Gandhian literature and Literature influenced by Gandhian thoughts.