The PhD Programme in English at Gujarat Vidyapith seeks to develop research in literary and cultural studies, especially dealing with the margins. The department encourages research which deals with socio-cultural aspects in literature and culture of rural and tribal society and women in mainstream as well as at the margins of the society. Being part of Gujarat Vidyapith, the department encourages research through the lens of Gandhian thought. The need to interrogate and engage with Gandhian thought in various walks of life is more pressing today and the department wishes to play an important part in this discourse. The department also seeks to encourage research in interdisciplinary studies.
Admission is given as per the rules of UGC (Minimum Standards and Procedures for the Award of PhD Degree) Regulation, 2022.https://www.ugc.gov.in/pdfnews/0909572_Minimum-Standards-and-Procedure-for-Award-of-PhD-Degree.pdf
- Post-graduation in English.
- Based on the number of vacant seats with the research supervisors of the Department of English.
- Reservation of seats follows the Government of India rules.
- Students will have developed marked scholarship to carry out original research in topics of their choice in English studies or allied disciplines.
- Students will be able to apply theoretical tools to critically examine the socio-cultural and political structures around them in the larger society.
- Students will develop a passion for carrying out research in interdisciplinary studies.
- Students will have imbibed the ethical and professional standards in research and other activities in their personal and professional life.
Following opportunities are open to students who completes PhD in English:
- Pursue post-doctoral research programmes.
- Teaching positions in colleges and universities.
- Teaching and administrative positions in private education institutions.
- Position in research organizations as research associates and programme officers.