MA Programme is of two years duration spread over four semesters with the option of exiting after completing the first year. The programme is divided into following sections:
- Post-Graduate Diploma in English 1 Year (2 Semesters)
- Post-Graduate Degree in English 2 Years (4 Semesters)
Each semester is of 20 credits. The programme develops the deeper understanding of the field of English studies and explores the newly emerging areas covering literature around the world. The MA Programme at Gujarat Vidyapith is unique as it is rooted in the ethos of the Institute. The programme uses Gandhian thought as a pivot to interrogate the discipline of English studies. The programme also introduces the students to Gujarati literature through translation. The programme seeks to straddle the local and global literature through translation studies, components of culture studies, and margin studies. The programme also trains the students in writing graduate dissertations and equip them to continue their education at the doctoral level.
- Admission is given through CUET (Central Universities Entrance Test) which is conducted by NTA.
- BA pass in English.
- Total Number of Seats: 57 (Reservation of seats for SC/ST/OBC/EWS as per the Govt. of India rules)
2 Years (Four Semester)
SEMESTER – 1
- ENG 101 : History of English Literature 1550 CE 1700 CE
- ENG 102 : Gandhi in English I (Food Culture Nationalism).
- ENG 103 : Gujarati Writings in Translation
- ENG 104 : Pre Independence Indian Writing in English
- ENG 105 : Literary Theory and Criticism
SEMESTER – 2
- ENG 201 : History of English Literature 1700 – 1900 CE
- ENG 202 : Gandhi in English II (Engaging with Gandhi’s Non-violence)
- ENG 203 : Post Independence Indian English Literature
- ENG 204 : Translation Studies
- ENG 205 : Literary Criticism and Theory – I
SEMESTER – 3
- ENG 301 : History of British Literature Modern Age
- ENG 302 : Gandhi in English II (Colonization Decolonization and Swaraj)
- ENG 303 : Research Methodology
- ENG 304 : English Language Teaching
- Elective Paper (Any 1)
SEMESTER – 4
Structure of the MA Programme: 4 Semesters of 20 Credits each.
ENG 101: Regional Literature: Gujarati Writings in Translation
ENG 102: Gandhi in English – I (Engaging with Non-Violence and Satyagraha)
ENG 103: Pre-Independence Indian Writing in English
ENG 104: Professional Writing in English
ENG 105: Modern Literary Theory and Criticism
ENG 201: Indian Literary Critical Tradition
ENG 202: Gandhi in English – II (Colonization, Decolonization, and Swaraj)
ENG 203: Post-Independence Indian Writing in English
ENG 204: Translation Studies
ENG 205: English Language Teaching
ENG 301: Postcolonial Literature
ENG 302: Research Methodology
ENG DSE 303 A: American Literature OR
ENG DSE 303 B: Modern European Literature
ENG DSE 304 A: Latin American Literature OR
ENG DSE 304 B: Diaspora Literature
ENG 305: Term Paper
ENG 401: Women’s Writing
ENG DSE 402 A: African Literature OR
ENG DSE 402 B: Marginal Literature
ENG 403: Dissertation
Programme-Specific Outcomes – MA (English)
- Students will have developed a deep understanding of the newer areas of literary and culture studies.
- Students will have developed analytical tools to comprehend any kind of literature of allied disciplines in the field of humanities and social sciences.
- Students will have developed a critical outlook towards all domains of knowledge, methodologies, and practices.
- Students will have developed the sense of different kinds of writing style according to form and variety of writing.
- Students will have acquired the basics of research so as to be able to produce research papers.
Following opportunities are open to students who completes MA Programme in English:
- Pursue graduation in teacher education programme leading to become eligible for teaching positions in higher secondary classes.
- Pursue doctoral research programme in English studies and other allied disciplines such as translation studies, culture studies, and media studies.
- Teaching positions in private educational institutions.
- Mid-level office desk jobs requiring efficiency in English language.
- Position is communication departments of the private firms.
- Position in media and journalism at the entry-level editorial jobs.